The Mission of God – Disciple Making
Matthew 4:19, 28:19
Were you discipled?
-A Spirit-led movement…
-To make disciples of Jesus
-To mobilize every member as a missionary
-To multiply faith communities locally and beyond!
Alan Hirsch studied the multiplication movements:
1. Jesus is Lord – authentic followers of Jesus
2. Disciple Making – the engine of the moment
3. Missional-Incarnational Impulse – Everyone a missionary. “Sent-ness”
4. Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Shepherd, Teacher “APEST” gifts in everyone utilized
5. Organic Systems – Developed structures as they grew to steward the work
6. Liminality and Communities – people of God experience a shared, risk taking adventure into the unknown
Sermon in brief:
A disciple is a person who follows Jesus, is being transformed by Jesus and joins Jesus in his mission of making disciples. This is every believer’s privilege and duty.
The product that we are looking for in you is to become a disciple maker so the movement continues until Christ can fill all things with his presence.
There are three action steps one must take to be a disciple maker.
1. A disciple is one who FOLLOWS JESUS. “Come Follow Me”
-A disciple places themselves under his authority – Jesus is Lord
-A disciple falls in behind Jesus as leader. John 12:26
-A disciple obeys Jesus
2. A disciple is one who is actively being changed by the Holy Spirit into the image of Jesus. “I will make you”
3. A disciple is one who joins Jesus in his mission. “Fishers of Men” is the mission of God
-It is time consuming, messy at times.
Three levels of maturity in Christ 1 John 2:12-15
Children: your sins have been forgiven on account of his name; because you have the Father.
Young Adult: Because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, you have overcome the evil one.
Parents: you have known him who is from the beginning.
Question: What if Franklin District Churches had a DNA of disciple making and a thoughtful plan to assist you in your mission of making disciples throughout the developmental stages?